Content marketing is blurring the lines between advertising and publishing across all media. Here are a few insights that I gathered from a breakfast panel presented by AWNY speaking to this “content revolution” last week. The panel included power players from every facet of the media spectrum from editors at major publishers to VPs of international brands like BMW and JPMorgan.
When establishing a content marketing strategy, there was consensus on the steps to take to execute a successful campaign:
1) Form the strategy. In order to develop the best possible plan, pool your resources. During the ideation stage, gather your experts in the company with SEO, social, digital, research and marketing. Putting together a team is when the ‘eureka!’ moments happen and creativity is stirred.
2) Establish your messaging. As Stacey Warwick from JPMorgan Chase said “Talk to the brand like they are a publisher.” Instead of traditional advertising, your message comes through the environment you are creating for your user experience. Whether it is a microsite, a twitter news feed or a blog, the goal is to encourage engagement and creating a conversation with your brand as the centerpiece. Utilize engineers with technical know-how to make the experience streamlined and user friendly.
3) Content creation and curation is the heart of the campaign. The balance of building your own content from the ground up and utilizing existing content is crucial. The goal is to generate an enriching, quality experience that feels authentic.
4) Choose the best distribution channels. This is crucial to a successful content campaign. Understand the difference between Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and more. Every channel has a different purpose when communicating your message and driving engagement.
5) Assess ROI. Choosing the right KPIs to determine if the campaign was successful can be tricky. Take risks, but plan, plan and then plan some more. Sometimes finding out what doesn’t work can be as beneficial as to finding out what does.
With content marketing, media plans are becoming more evolved and complex. But with an original and stimulating experience, you can enhance your media mix and even create new brands within the content channels you launch. Welcome to an exciting and emerging trend in the world of advertising.